Monday, May 16, 2011

I'm So Excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm ashamed to admit it, but there have been times when my fingers have been downright raw, sore even, from texting on my phone. I have a loyal and obsessive love for this electronic communication. It's short and sweet and less intrusive than actually talking on the phone. I think I like it most, because you can send one-liners, with tag along emoticons to convey whatever you're feeling. However, we texters, seem to take it too far sometimes.

How many times have you sent or received a text that read "LOL"? You know damn well you weren't really laughing out loud and just ignore your suspicions that the sender wasn't either. What lights my fire are the "LMAO" (laughing my azz off) replies. But, what really burns me are the "ROTFL" (rolling on the floor laughing) texts. YOU'RE NOT ROLLING ON THE FLOOR!!! Just recently, I saw "ROTFLCOPTER" which means rolling on the floor laughing and spinning around. Do I even need to comment on this? I mean seriously. You can if you want, but I'm not touching it.

Now, I've done the LOL lying thing before, but here's where I'm really guilty. The other day, I was skimming over some text-versations and noticed how many times I added an exclamation mark at the of my sentences. It was obscene, the amount. I doubled-up, even trippled-up the bats and balls. Practically everything ended in an exclamation mark. Some examples include:

"OK!"
"Hey chica!"
"No! Boil it for what?"
"So NOT a party!"
"Happy Birthday Boo!!!"
"Yay!"
"Too wild!"
"WTF!!!"
"LOL!"
"Enjoy!"
"Uh huh! Whatever, sucka. LOL!!!"
"I lost five pounds!!!"
"HUSH!!!" (caps and bats really bring home the point)
"Finger snaps!"
"Umkay!"
"Nice!"
"What?!?!" (the quest-clamation mark is a sinful combination on the rise)
"Hiyah!"
"So many incense smells!"
"Osama's a goner!!!!!!!!"

So, you get the point. It's crazy right? Since then, I've put myself on exclamation probation. I'm only going to use it when necessary or appropriate, i.e. "to indicate strong feelings or high volume." I have to say, it's been hard, real hard, but I'm determined! (what the hell, a few for the road, LOL!!!)

2 comments:

  1. I've been guilty of some of the same things. Especially the "quest-clamation".
    I'm a big "though"-er. I've done it for years. In fact I used to do it in some of my early college papers.

    Have you noticed your writing skills being affected by your tweeting/texting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, and no! I refuse to let my love for English and grammar affect my texting. Okay, wait I will substitute "you" for "u," but that's the extent. I totally feel like people have gotten too comfortable and too damn creative. I'm not hating, just not participating. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

I've got a piece of your mind. Thanks!